The Briggait is a magnificent building which had, except for temporary use, lain empty for the best part of 20 years. Wasps set out to redevelop the building back in 2001 and finally completed the project in late 2009. The Briggait now houses over 5,500m2 of public and private space including:
- 45 studios for visual artists
- 24 offices for cultural organisations
- 4 shop-front units for creative industry companies
- A beautiful public courtyard that dates back to 1873
- 2 street-front exhibition spaces, 2 meeting room spaces, and a heritage interpretation room.
- An unit on the Clyde facing side of the building which has been used for several purpose, most notably as a public cafe
- The Briggait is fully accessible with designated entrance, lift, and bathroom facilities, except for first floor studios on the Bridgegate elevation of the building.
A great deal of work went into repairing the Briggait’s historic fabric to make the building habitable again.
The stunning 1873 Courtyard, perhaps the most impressive space architecturally, is open to the public on a daily basis between 9:30am and 5:30pm, Monday to Friday.
The areas of the building which house the private workspaces are open to the public at monthly guided tours from 1pm on the last Friday of each month.
Meeting Room and Event Space Hire:
We have two meeting rooms available for hire on an hourly, half day, and full day basis. They are bright rooms on the ground floor, adjacent to the main 1873 Courtyard.
- Meeting Room 1 can sit 12 around a large table
- Meeting Room 2 can sit 6-8 around a table
- Projector (to hire) and flipchart available on request
- Tea and coffee making facilities available on request
- We are unable to cater but can recommend local suppliers
For meeting room booking enquiries please email us here or phone 0141 553 5890.
Event hire at The Briggait is handled by Inhouse Stewards. To check availability of dates and submit a hire request go to the 1873 Hall booking website here http://1873hall.inhouse.scot.
Alternatively you can email Inhouse here or call them on 0141 628 8599.
The Briggait has two shop-fronted gallery spaces looking out onto Bridgegate. These spaces are programmed by Wasps. For more information on how to submit a proposal/register of interest for the Briggait project spaces, click here.
To apply for studio spaces, click here.