Delivered in two phases, the first phase will see the safeguarding of the roof of the 1899 and 1904 Halls, general repairs to ageing floors and walls, and the installation of new toilet facilities, doors, a café and a reception facing onto Clyde Street. Due to be completed in Spring 2024, these enhancements will open up The Briggait to the Clydeside area and signpost this historic Merchant City landmark from Clyde Street. The 1904 Corner Block on the corner of Merchant Lane and Clyde Street will be completely transformed to create a food and drink offering.
These valuable assets are to be conserved and brought back into public use, allowing communities and visitors to take advantage of the full complement of spaces and activities in the building for many years to come. Wasps intends to expand its events and exhibitions capacity into these two halls from 2024 onwards, in turn bringing more opportunities for the creatives of Glasgow and beyond.
Phase Two will involve the installation of underfloor heating, air source heat pumps, more toilet facilities and a beautiful new entrance on Clyde Street with a landscaped outdoor area for the public to enjoy.
The Briggait Clydeside Market Halls project is only made possible by our generous supporters: Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Heritage, Architectural Heritage Fund, Scottish Enterprise, the Scottish Government, Historic Environment Scotland, the Scottish Landfill Communities Trust and Avondale.