A former tobacco factory, Wasps' largest building was redeveloped in 2001 to become Scotland's first purpose-built studio and events complex for up to 200 artists each year. The complex has excellent facilities including:
- 77 studios ranging from 175 sq ft to 1000 sq ft
- A 4000 sq ft Project Space
- Full accessibility throughout the building
- Free Car Parking On Site Cafe
- Artists’ kitchen and showers
- Open Plan workspace for ceramicists and glass artists with a dedicated kiln room
We are eternally grateful to all the funders who made this £2.2 million project possible including the Scottish Arts Council Capital Lottery Fund, Glasgow City Council, Scottish Enterprise Glasgow, The Gannochy Trust, The Hugh Fraser Foundation, The Craignish Trust and the Trades House of Glasgow Commonweal Fund with corporate support from Park Systems Furniture and Soluis Technologies.
Apply for an artist studio
Our artist studios are intended to support visual and applied artists and makers. We operate a registered waiting list and ask anyone looking to rent a studio with Wasps to apply to our waiting list. For all information on how to apply to the register, as well as details on our lettings process and studio eligibility please visit this section of our website. On occasion, we have studios and offices advertised outwith our registered waiting list. You can find these here: Available Studios & Offices.
Being a Wasps Tenant
With over 40 years worth of expertise, we are the UK’s largest provider of affordable studio space for artists and creative industries.
Tenants of the Wasps community receive the following benefits:
• Affordable studio prices with no hidden costs - utilities and Wifi are all inclusive in artist studios (rates apply for creative offices)
• Building security - all our buildings are either owned or on long term rentals
• 24/7 secure access all year round
• Part of our community of almost 1,000 artists and creatives in our 20 buildings across Scotland
• Exhibiting and selling opportunities through our Arts & Enterprise programme including:
⁃ Exhibitions - over 50% of artists exhibited in our gallery programmes are tenants
⁃ Makers Markets
⁃ South Block shop
⁃ Open Studios
⁃ Art Fairs
• Ability to join our Own Art scheme
• Support and expertise from Wasps’ staff team
• Promotion on our website with an artist profile
Hanson Street has free car parking on site. Buses: 38, 42, 138 bus from outside Queen Street Station to Alexandra Parade. Get off at the stop after Glasgow Royal Infirmary and Hanson Street is the next street on the right. Alternatively, the studios are a 20-25 minute walk from the city centre.