The Briggait Clydeside Market Halls project will return the oldest surviving collection of market halls in Scotland to public use for the first time in 50 years. The project will ‘transform 1,200m2 of derelict and unused space into an exciting riverside destination for food and drink, markets, events and creative industries. A cultural and creative hub on the banks of the Clyde in the centre of Glasgow.
The Briggait opened in 1873, 150 years ago this year, as Glasgow’s first purpose built fish market and over the next 30 years expanded to the size that it is today. Wasps transformed half of The Briggait complex in 2010 creating artists’ studios, offices and exhibition space for Glasgow’s artists. Up to 150 creative people now work at The Briggait daily. The restored 1873 Hall also hosts a range of cultural, community and social events which welcome approximately 30,000 people to The Briggait each year.
There are three new business opportunities available as a result of the project. Wasps will be looking to appoint an operator for its new café (located within the new main reception/Clyde Street entrance) as well someone to run the new Corner unit on the riverside frontage (which has potential for uses including food and drink, retail).
It is expected that the three Halls – 1873, 1899 and 1904 – will be in demand for exhibitions, food and drink markets, fashion and vintage markets. Wasps will be looking for an events management and delivery partner to help them maximise the usage of the halls.
To download the Tender Opportunities information or register your interest, please visit the BTS website here.
Without action the empty and derelict parts of The Briggait complex, wonderful examples of Glasgow’s built heritage, would be lost to future generations. This project will secure these magnificent market halls, reconnect them to the River Clyde and open the doors to the people and communities of Glasgow and visitors to the city.
Safeguarding this amazing space and providing a sustainable future through the creation of new spaces for markets and events will provide more opportunities for Glasgow’s creative and cultural community and will help support artists and creatives across Scotland.
Wasps specialises in finding creative, economic and positive community use for heritage buildings which may otherwise be lost. In 2009, Wasps redeveloped about half of the Briggait Market Halls complex to create artists’ studios, offices and exhibition space for Glasgow’s artists. Up to 150 creative people now work at The Briggait daily. The restored 1873 Hall also hosts a range of cultural, community and social events throughout the year hosted by both Wasps and the wider community.
Around 1200sqm of The Briggait Market Halls remains empty and undeveloped, their condition deteriorating, and the ornate entrance from Clyde Street obscured. Wasps is working with project partners to ensure this valuable asset is conserved and put back into public use, allowing communities and visitors to enjoy the full complement of spaces and activities in the building for many years to come. Our plans are now focused on saving these halls and developing more space for creativity, more markets, more places to meet and more things to do, for the people of Glasgow and visitors to the city.
The Briggait has an amazing history dating back to Medieval times– take a look at the resources below to find out more.
Bringing the whole of The Briggait back into sustainable cultural and community use is a key ambition for Wasps. Read about our achievements to date, how we support our network, and meet some of our Glasgow-based creatives.
Our campaign and project to redevelop The Briggait Clydeside Market halls is generously supported by: